How to appear first on Google in 8 steps
It is certain that the presence on the web occupies a crucial place in the marketing strategy of a company. To take full advantage, it is necessary to be among the first results of search engines such as Google. Given the sophisticated algorithms of Google and the fierce competition between providers of the same service, obtaining a good rank in the results requires a long-term and rigorously developed strategy.
Did you know that a study was conducted on 2 million keywords, it was deduced that the average age of the first 10 pages of the search engine ranking exceeds 2 years?
In the rest of our article, we propose 8 essential steps to appear first on Google.
Step 1: Think Mobile Friendly! Create a mobile-friendly website
More than 90% of the Australian population is surfing the Internet. A figure so important that encourages us to adapt our web content to the needs of over 20 million Internet users. In recent years, the connection from smartphones has become more and more common. In fact, the use of mobile for the web has achieved an impressive 60% increase between 2017 and 2018.
For this reason, it is imperative to make your website more compatible with smartphones regarding development and display, the so-called responsive design. Google provides designers and SEOs with relevant and free SEO tools such as “Google test My Site”, “Google Mobile-Friendly Test” “PageSpeed Insights” … to optimise and test the ergonomics of sites on different media. The purpose of tips suggested by these tools helps businesses enormously to appear on the first page of Google.
Step 2: Think SEO Friendly! Create unique, relevant and SEO Friendly content
To have an SEO Friendly site, one must first think of creating quality content that meets the search of the user. Google places great importance on the relevance of content when analysing web pages. This is a key factor to improve the SEO of any site. Keep in mind each time you are writing simultaneously to a potential customer and the search engine. Here are some guidelines for writing your web content:
- Write unique content avoiding duplication. Plagiarism is intolerable by Google.
- Write simply and concisely. Do not use too many technical terms.
- Respect the use of the keywords provided by the SEO
- Look after the structure and markup of your text (title tag, description tag, subtitles)
Step 3: Think Loading Speed! Improve the loading speed of your website
Did you know that according to a Google Analytics study on a sample of 3700 mobile sites, 53% of users leave the page if its loading time exceeds 3 seconds!
Indeed, especially with the rise of mobile navigation, Internet users have become less patient. Think they are looking for the information they need as quickly as possible. They do not have time to wait for the loading of your page to be completed. If the delay is too long, users will simply look for another site faster.
Step 4: Think Business! Create a Google My Business listing that’s well-optimised for your business
Google My Business, formerly called Google Places, is a free online platform. It has two key objectives: to help business owners increase their online reputation and help people find and review businesses in their area. It is indeed the most complete and accessible business directory.
We must, therefore, mention all the information about the company to have a relevant record responding to the search for the user:
- The name, address and telephone number of the company
- The location of the business on a map
- Opening and closing hours
- A link to the company’s website
- Photos related to the company
- Reviews and ratings (of 5) from previous customers
Step 5: Think of the Net surfers! Create and regularly maintain a blog
The creation of a blog on a website is part of the editorial strategy that enriches the content with articles related to the activity of the company. It’s usually informative and explanatory responses that people are looking for in one area or another.
Writing relevant and optimised articles in a blog offer the company several advantages:
- Generating more traffic to the blog and eventually to the site
- Building reputation and reputation online
- An effective way to update the site permanently and improve its “index of freshness” in the eyes of Google.
- A demonstration of the entrepreneur’s know-how
- The enrichment of the semantic content of the site and subsequently the improvement of SEO…
The blog differs from other pages of the site by its explanatory and non-commercial tone. The goal is to educate your readers, who can then become potential customers.
On the other hand, we can create without links in the article to other pages of the site such as the service page or contact to generate traffic.
Step 6: Think Acquiring Web Traffic! External and internal link building
The creation of internal and external links is also an important criterion to appear first on Google. In fact, the search engine robot Google takes into consideration the number and especially the quality of links that return to your site. The higher the reputation of the site where you get a backlink, the better your ranking in the search results. For the user, the links of quality are indices of credibility and notoriety of your site. These are “confidence votes” that strengthen your status as an expert in your industry.
Internal links or link building are also relevant for the SEO of your site. They allow, in fact, to facilitate navigation between the pages and the acquisition of traffic. In an SEO audit, tools such as SEO SpyGlass and Linkody are useful in evaluating and improving the quality of links to your site.
Step 7: Think social networks! Develop your presence on social networks
Since the last decade, social networks have become essential channels to boost the web image of a company. The massive use of these media offers an exciting opportunity to reach a broader population and strengthen online reputation. The development of a social media strategy is so significant that there is an independent professional to manage and animate the pages of Facebook, Twitter or Linkedin: the community manager. Also, the SMO (social media optimisation) is an SEO technique dedicated to the development of the image on social networks. So, how the strong presence on social networks can impact your positioning on search engines and boost traffic on the site:
- Sharing content allows you to reach a broader population for a longer time.
- Links to the site from social media accelerate the indexing of your content.
- Social media gives you the opportunity to understand what kind of content is more or less engaging to adjust your content strategy.
- Interactivity on social networks allows you to identify the opinions and expectations of customers more accurately.
- The social media profiles of companies are likely to appear at the top of the SERP.
- Having pages on social media, with always consistent information (same address, same phone number, same hours, etc.) are signals to search engines to confirm that your business “really exists”, that it can be recommended to users, and therefore it should appear in the SERP. And if, also, you manage to collect positive opinions on your pages, the signals are reinforced!
Step 8: Think about e-advertising! Invest well in online advertising
To accelerate e-reputation and traffic generation in a competitive environment, online advertising is used. Whether on search engines with Google Adwords or on social media such as Facebook Ads, paid advertising also requires a well thought out strategy to have relevant results taking into consideration multiple factors:
- The objective of the advertising campaign
- The budget of online advertising
- The target population (age, sex, interests, location)
- Keywords sought by Internet users (Google Adwords)
- The position of the banner ad
- The evaluation of advertising results to make the necessary changes in the next campaigns
Wanting to appear on the first page of Google is an obvious goal, it requires a global and effective web marketing strategy that covers all elements of the business (responsive design, natural and paid SEO, presence on social media, content relevance, etc.). This is why it is advisable to use the services of an SEO specialist in Melbourne such as Blue Mango Media.